Pallets and the wood or plastic they are made from come in many size options. From deckboards to stringers, all dimensions can be customized to meet your needs.
Pallets are flat, sturdy platforms used to move goods from one place to another. They are used in almost every industry, from groceries to dental products and cars. Although there isn’t any true standard pallet size, they’re all measured the same and many have similar features. Contact us for more information on pallet dimensions and how we can meet and exceed your needs and expectations. Some common pallet dimension measurements include:
- Height and width
- How tall the pallet is when laid flat on the ground
- The size and thickness of the deckboards
- Size of pallet stringers or blocks
- The opening height, or how much room there is for forklift tines
Wooden pallets typically consist of boards or wooden blocks that support several deckboards, on top of which products are placed. In a pallet measurement, the first number is the length and the second number is the width.
The most common pallet size in the world is the 48 x 40 GMA pallet.
Oregon wood and plastic pallets are measured by length and width (in this case 48″ x 40″). The opening height, shown as 4.75″, is also a common and important measurement. This is the space in which forklift tines or hand trucks enter the pallet.
For more perspective on dimensions, a standard pallet is usually 6 ½” tall. GMA pallets typically weigh 37 pounds, but can easily weigh more. Their deck boards measure 3 1⁄4 inches wide and are 5⁄16 inch thick. Although the 48 x 40 GMA is the most common size and the closest thing to a “standard” in the industry, some pallet users require specialty and custom pallets for their particular use case.
Below is a list of the most widely used pallet sizes in mm and inches and sample industries:
- 1016×1219mm; 40×48in.; Grocery, many others
- 1067×1067mm; 42×42in.; Telecommunications, Paint
- 1219×1219mm; 48x48in.; Drums
- 1219×1016mm; 48×40in.; Military, Cement
- 1219×1067mm; 48×42in.; Chemical, Beverage
- 1016×1016mm; 40×40in.; Dairy
- 1219×1143mm; 48×45in.; Automotive
- 1118×1118mm; 44×44in.; Drums, Chemical
- 914×914mm; 36×36in.; Beverage
- 1219×914mm; 48×36in.; Beverage, Shingles, Packaged Paper
- 889×1156mm; 35×45.5in.; Military 1⁄2 ISO container, fits 36″ standard doors
- 1219×508mm; 48×20in.; Retail
All aspects of pallet dimension can be customized to meet any application’s needs. Length, width, height, deckboard size and other dimensions all affect weight capacity and how well the pallet works for certain products. For more detailed information on pallet dimensions and how they can be changed to best suit your needs, contact us.